After years of waiting, Andre 3000 surprises fans with the release of his very first solo project, New Blue Son, an instrumental album.
With no verses from the one half of the iconic rap duo OutKast, the Grammy-award winning artist provides eight tracks performed by himself and his trusty flute.
The unusual-titled tracks are written and read what appears to be an essay from Stacks.
1. “I Swear, I Really Wanted To Make A “Rap” Album But This Is Literally The Way The Wind Blew Me This Time”
2. “The Slang Word Pussy Rolls Off The Tongue With Far Better Ease Than The Proper Word Vagina . Do You Agree?”
3. “That Night In Hawaii When I Turned Into A Panther And Started Making These Low Register Purring Tones That I Couldn’t Control … Shit Was Wild”
4. “BuyPoloDisorder’s Daughter Wears A 3000™ Button Down Embroidered”
5. “Ninety Three ‘Til Infinity And Beyoncé”
6. “Ghandi, Dalai Lama, Your Lord & Savior J.C. / Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, And John Wayne Gacy”
7. “Ants To You, Gods To Who?”
8. “Dreams Once Buried Beneath The Dungeon Floor Slowly Sprout Into Undying Gardens”
“I don’t want to troll people. I don’t want people to think, “Oh, this André 3000 album is coming!,” the Atlanta native tells NPR prior to its release. “And you play it and like, “Oh man, no verses.” So even actually on the packaging, you’ll see it says, “Warning: no bars.””
New Blue Son is Andre 3000’s first official studio album since 2006’s Idlewild, OutKast’s last album as a group. In 2018, 3 Stacks released Look Ma No Hands, a two-track playlist featuring “Me&MY (To Bury Your Parents)” and “Look Ma No Hands”. This year, Andre appeared on Killer Mike’s “Scientists & Engineers“, which has a Grammy nomination for Best Rap Song and Best Rap Performance. The collaboration is off Killer Mike’s latest album, Michael that is nominated for Grammy’s Best Rap Album.